Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Guess who's po' fo' sho?


This is one of the tests I had to take for a job as a proofreader at a financial firm: a typing speed test. I typed 101 words per minute; hence, I am awesome. And modest. Hey, I have to type fast to do phone interviews and type at about the rate of human speech (at least in shorthand if nothing else). I would've been an awesome stenographer back in the 1920s. Bahaha...I have lofty aspirations.

Now for something completely different, and amusing/or sad.



Well if it's at that bargain price, I'll take two!!!

...In what warped world is this considered normal? Maybe for the top .05% income bracket. Sigh.

One more unrelated thing, just to make this interesting: am I the only person I know who isn't engaged/or married at the age of 24? Jesus Christ on a bicycle, what's wrong with me? I mean, don't get me wrong -- I have absolutely no desire to tie myself down, nor do I consider myself ready, but it does give me pause. My mom was married and had a kid on the way by my age. My grandma had already had three daughters by the time she was my age, and two years later, she had her fourth.

On the flipside, I'm only 24 god-forsaken years old. There is no justifiable reason why I need some dude to put a ring on it, yet, especially if I'm not ready. For one thing, who wants to end up on the wrong side of the divorce statistic? Not I. I remember my dad said the one most important decisions a person can make is "spousal selection," so I wouldn't take that choice lightly. I think more people should focus on, say, the marriage instead of a wedding; however, I will admit this doesn't stop me from watching girly shows about weddings such as "Platinum Weddings" or "My Fair Wedding by David Tutera" or "Say Yes to the Dress," and even occasionally I'll watch "Bridezillas" if I'm feeling particularly like watching trash TV. It's all a circus. The "wedding industry" makes billions every year, and to me that's kind of pathetic. I wonder how much divorce attorneys make per year?

Oh, am I too cynical? *Shrug* I won't deny that claim. It's true. But here's a quote to cap off this "life is ridiculous" post: Behind every cynic is a disappointed idealist. Alternatively, I've heard this quote: Remember, beneath every cynic there lies a romantic, and probably an injured one.

No comments: