Friday, November 7, 2008

Fin de semana que viene aquí en Cabra

More fun stuff -- Emily is on her way from Canillas de Aceituno! That is the name of her town, by the way, and it only has 2500 people. When she told me how small it was, I asked her if it was some kind of tribal village where they live in teepees or something. I forgot that some of the people in my program are in SUCH small towns. Like I said in here once before, my high school had more people than that. Loco. But it should be a lot of fun, I'm totally excited.

Yesterday after school, I went to Baena with Rosana, one of the English teachers. She is great. We went out to get lunch, first. I should add that we got lunch at 4 p.m. which is completely normal here -- remember that Spaniards eat at weird times: breakfast is usually at 11 a.m. and it consists of a something light like toast with olive oil and an espresso or café con leche, then lunch is between 2 to 4 p.m. and that is the biggest meal, there is a snack somewhere in between, and then there is a light dinner which can be anytime between 8 p.m. (at the earliest) and midnight.
Anyway, woops on that tangent -- after we ate, Rosana and I shopped around town, walked through the park and saw the sights of Baena, we went to Carrefour, which is the equivalent of Target here in Spain, and I met her grandmother and her mom, briefly. It was fun, and I should also add that I spoke Spanish almost continuously with few lapses into English. I speak Spanish here every day, but never for hours at a time, so I definitely got a mental workout. It's normal for me to think "crap, what is the third person past tense of 'to bring'" and "what preposition should I use in this sentence" ? Also, if I don't know how to say a phrase, sometimes I'll just use the direct English to Spanish translation, and usually that doesn't work so well for me. Woops.

Other things coming up this weekend include hanging out with Carlos and Noelia, who are my bilingual coordinator and his girlfriend/one of the professors I work with, too, respectively. We'll be going out to the country to "tomar algo" (eat/get some drinks) and just hang out. Also, Raul, the Chief of Studies will be coming, too (not sure what his exact job description is, but that's his title at my school). I haven't asked Carlos if Emily can come with us yet, because he just told me about this plan to go out and get drinks in the country after I had invited Emily to visit me in Cabra, but I'm pretty sure it will be fine. We'll see!

One other thing I haven't mentioned in here, yet -- I have a private tutoring class planned for next Tuesday! Yay! I'm going to teach two children of one of the teachers at my school. They are 4 and 7 years old, so I am going to have to rack my brain for what to teach little kids who have virtually no knowledge of English. This will be completely new territory for me, but I'm still excited. Their names are Marta and Paco, by the way -- Marta is 7 and Paco is 4. I'm sure they'll be adorable. Carmen, their mother, told me that they're super excited to meet me. Yay.

Yay for fun things in Spain. Hasta luego.

2 comments:

Dave said...

I'm sure you'll do well as an ESL teacher for los muchachos. How about you start out with the basis they'll need to know like: hello, good bye, mom, dad, beer, 1, 2, 3, etc.

Dave said...

That was supposed to be "basics" not "basis".