Tuesday, November 11, 2008

keep on keepin' on

Hopefully today will mark the end of having to do official stuff foreigners have to do to live here. Well, that's not true, because I still need to set up a bank account. Lameeee. Today I had to go to Córdoba (before the sun came up) in order to do more junk to get my NIE card: numero de identificación por extranjeros which is more or less Spain's version of the green card. I left on the 6:30 a.m. bus here in Cabra to get to Córdoba for an appointment at the police department to turn in even more paperwork and get fingerprinted. Joy of joys. I got the actual number of my NIE card, but I won't get the actual card for another month and then I'll have to go back to Córdoba AGAIN to pick it up. Rahhhhh, curses.

Other stuff ~ this evening I did my first tutoring class, ever. I worked with Marta and Paco, who are brother and sister. Marta is 7 and Paco is 4, and their mother is Carmen, a teacher at my school. They were adorable, but I'm going to have to figure out methods that work to teach young children, because it's clearly different from middle/high school-aged kids. The attention-span issue is frustrating for me, but it's hard to get angry at a 4 year-old, especially when s/he's so cute. I started as a language TA for 101 classes in college, now I just keep going down in age...eek.
This weekend I'm doing another private tutoring class for a college student who comes home during the weekends. She originally was going to be taught by Emily, but Emily is already doing so many classes that she is offering to give a bunch of her people to the rest of us girls since she feels swamped. Must be nice, though, since she's making an extra 300 euro a month for her efforts. If we were in a bigger city, we'd be able to make almost twice that, but the cost of living would eat up all the extra cash, so it's the same in the end.

Over the weekend I put up a ton of flyers advertising tutoring, but I was frustrated to see that a lot of them were removed. I guess they were either in places were posters frequently get removed, but I'm still annoyed. I'm going to copy more flyers tomorrow at school and put up more around town on lamp posts and big bulletin boards I see in town. I'm confused why my flyers were pulled off the bulletin boards, too. How irritating. I have a feeling that word of mouth advertising is much more effective than the flyers, but I'm going to do both and see where it gets me.

Other than official stuff -- life's not bad. Emily was here for the weekend and I showed her around my little pueblo and had some fun. This weekend will probably be low key and I'll just be hanging out in Cabra, but the weekend after this one I'll be in Edinburgh, Scotland with Carole, who lives in Málaga, and two other girls from Málaga who I've never met. I'm super psyched, yay!

Anyway, I'm wiped from getting up at 5-something this morning, so I'm going to faceplant in my pillows. Buenas noches.

No comments: