Saturday, October 24, 2009

Life is busy

You'd think my sleeping would get back on track once my life adjusted to that of a more normal twenty-something, but nope. I guess I'm just a dyed-in-the wool insomniac.

I've been doing a stupid amount of work to get a "real" job. . I'd like to think that that Journalism degree and multilingualism would be worth something, but apparently in this economy, that equals the amazing opportunity of working as a painter. A world-class painter? Oh, even better: a house painter. Yeah, that's what Career Builder would like me to do, anyway, in addition to offers such as electrician and secretary. Oh, sorry, "administrative assistant."

Maybe I should just go to my local temp agency and just chalk it up to the crap economy? Well, right now I'm shooting higher and I joined Cal Lutheran's version of Career Builder, which actually recruits Cal Lutheran students for a sh*tton of career opportunities available almost exclusively in Ventura County. It's completely amazing to have a job search engine that is just for jobs in Ventura County, because "Southern California" is way too broad. California just boggles my mind with its size.
Oh, and no, I have no education background from Cal Lutheran, but when you have both parents with jobs there, it opens the door for that (yay, thanks, mom and dad, for defecting to academia in your 50s). My dad actually has two jobs, which is completely bizarre, seeing how he's always gone to work in his starched dry-clean only getup to live the life of the executive mortgage banker, financial guy. But oh yeah, back to that economy thing, I guess it's necessary to get a second job these days? Luckily for MBAs, apparently you don't even need an education degree to get a job in that field. Or maybe that's just the case at schools like Cal Lutheran? Anyway, bravo, papi. Oh, and my mom isn't teaching, but she just got promoted to Assistant Director of the Multicultural/International Programs, there. Brava, mama.

Yawn. So yeah, I have a budding profile on Cal Luthernan's job search whatever thing. I submitted an unbelievable amount of junk, along with a highly tailored profile, my ruthlessly edited resume, bajillions of writing samples, a sample cover letter, and that doesn't take into account the searching I do to find potential matches for things I can pursue on my own. I'm hoping this will be more successful than Career Builder, but there's probably zero chance it could be worse, unless the CEO of a company calls me up personally to tell me I'm a failure at life and then dissolves into maniacal laughter at my expense.

There she be, in all her glory, I just whited out my contact info, just in case I have potential stalkers (hello, stalkers!).

Other stuff...the horse thing is going. Not necessarily "well," but going. There was a bit of a mishap at my last show, where I opted to scratch half my classes on the last day, because the horse's photosensitivity got the best of him so he wouldn't/couldn't stop shaking his head. I get extremely frustrated by it, but there's not much that can be done but put the horse away, give him a pat, and wait and hope that the next time we show it goes better. And by "better," I mean that he doesn't shake his head so violently that I feel like I'm the passenger in a bumper car, getting shook about on his back. Rahhhh. In any case, I'm pretty sure Cappuccino (horse) will be leaving the barn, soon, anyway, so he can get sold. I'll definitely miss him, it's been a fun partnership. Can't exactly afford a horse right now, though, it's also pretty impractical, seeing how I'll be (hopefully) going to law school and working at the same time, in the next few years. I just wanna have my cake and eat it too, I guess, and do it all. For now, that will have to go on hold until I become wildly successful...or a trophy wife. I have lofty ambitions and my other goal right now is to find my personal sugar daddy who will buy me a summer home and more horses than I can count on one hand. ;-)

Another thing I'm working on is writing a short story and submitting it to an online forum. Apparently there are ways to get compensation if a recruiter sees something they like, so that would be amazing if that happened. I've never written fiction, though, so it's a bit of a hurdle for me. It isn't proving too much of a challenge yet, though, since I am always writing something or another and I write ridiculously thorough outlines. So, I'm hoping this will be more than a hobby, but we'll see if it takes off. I befriended one of the other writers on this site, so he and I have been chatting a lot and he's been helping me as far as inspiration and editing goes, so hooray for that, too.

OK I think I'm gonna (attempt to) hit it, again. Wish me luck.

No comments: