Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Life Update

Workin' hard for the money, woooo! At least, I hope that'll happen. I got a mention of a job offer today when I went to Wellnessmart in Thousand Oaks. I've been there to shoot the sh*t with the main doctor guy, and today I mentioned something about oh yeah, I'm an unemployed bum (well, retail sort of does/doesn't count). So he asked before I left if my contact info was accurate, because he'd like to see if I could write for him. SQUEE.

Granted, this isn't the first time someone has mentioned maybe I could do some writing for him/her, but we'll see what happens. The prospect of it is cool, if nothing else.

Another no-less-important update: I found out one of the reasons I sleep horribly, even when exhausted, is because I might have a dust mite allergy. Apparently your bed is crawling with disgusting bugs (bed bugs?) and you can have a sensitivity to them. Yeah, gross. I mentioned to the doc that I have a problem breathing when I'm laying down, but not when I'm sitting or standing, and he says it's likely an allergy. SHEESH, now I know, after trying practically everything to sleep better: less caffeine, no naps/power naps/4-hour naps, nasal spray, breathe right strips, working out at strategic times, melatonin, ambien, it has all been a wash. I also have the whole anxiety thing keeping me awake, but if it were as simple as a dust mite allergy that is keeping me awake, I would weep with joy to be able to resolve it like this. Stay tuned.

Other: I got evangelized today, against my will. Actually, does anybody ever want to be evangelized? I was just chatting with some lady about why she was planning a trip to Africa and then got to hear a bunch of bull about spreading His word, blahblahblah, "Christ is the only way," and the whole litany of self-righteous tripe. Whenever I have to deal with that, I always probe and ask questions but keep a sort of calm exterior, because there's no point in getting into an argument with people who have no interest in being logical. The thing that I despise is having to defend myself when I get those random accusations. I suppose I could just let it slide, but of course I mentioned "Well, I am Catholic." So this lady goes into some diatribe about how Catholics don't read the Bible, Catholics are drunks who have no reverence for religious festivities, this and that and the other thing. I'm not about to go to bat for Catholicism, but I was getting hugely irritated by hearing an evangelist trash it. I'm sure I could bring up any religion and this woman would've had a conniption fit. Shoulda said I was a Jew, that would've gone well.

RAHHHHHHHH...

Anyway, I'm beyond exhausted. I keep sleeping 4 hours every night and burning my candle at both ends during the day. It would be worse if I had a real job, obviously, but I think I'd end up being completely useless at life if that were the case. Oh, and how delicious is the fact that I can get a job offer without going through all the arduous process of cover letter + resume + job search engine + outside help? Networking = beneficial. It behooves you to network. "Behooves" is probably my favorite word.

Rambling, woops.

Still writing my short story and talking to writer dude who submits to the same website. I've been surprised at how much fun it is to dip into the fiction arena and bounce ideas off other writers. I feel about a thousand times more intellectually stimulated talking to these people than I would, say, watching Dateline and eating chocolate fro yo. I'm checking the box on this website that says I want my submissions to be evaluated for publication, too, so we'll see if that gets off the ground. Right now I've finished my outline and done about 5 pages of a short story (it'll probably hit 60+ by the time I'm done with this installment). We'll see if this leads anywhere.

Yawn. Time to get out and go ride the horse.

No comments: