Monday, October 6, 2008

Busy busy busy ^ nth

When I was living in SoCal, I felt like I was in a Disney movie every day of my life. Now I feel that way even more than ever with the sun, the balconies, the palm trees and all those good things. It makes me want to run out into the street, Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music style, sometimes. Then something like a guy urinating in public will bring me back down to earth.

Other bad thing that happened? Eye infection. You can see it in the picture, click to blow 'er up. My left eye is swollen and bloodshot, so while I was out on the town with Emily and Becca, we went into the pharmacy so I could get eye drops. In Spain, though, you apparently need a prescription for those. Seriously? Why. Anyway, I was all annoyed that the doctor's office wouldn't be open, but fortunately there was a 24-hour clinic across the street. I walked on over and filled out some forms and handed over my passport. I need to get my official insurance card, which I don't have yet. Ithaca was supposed to make my alumni email address forward everything to my yahoo mail account, and that hasn't been happening consistently, so I lost a couple of the emails from my program about what to do. Luckily, I got in, anyway.

I had to speak Spanish the entire time, but it was fine. It WAS weird, though, to have two doctors hover all over me and poke my eye with a popsicle stick and get interrogated -- do you wear contacts, do you smoke, do you sleep well, do you itch your eyes, do you produce eye discharge, etc. They freakin' douched my eye and kept telling me to open my eye more, but uhhh, isn't it natural to shut your eyes in reaction to getting a fire hose shot at them? Either way, I got my eye drops and I have to use them on my left eye 3 times a day for the next 5+ days. Oy.

Tomorrow I'm going to the school to get my lesson plan solidified and say hi to the prof's again. I was told to show up between 10:30 a.m. and noon and definitely before 2 p.m., hahaha, I love Spain. Before that, I have to put more money on my phone, get a bike, go to the cop shop to see about getting my visa extension, find some more stuff to put on my white walls so it looks less like a loony bin, etc. Oh and I have to buy some food and do laundry. It'll definitely take me more than just tomorrow to get all that stuff in, seeing how I'll have to commute and figure out the lay of the land along with all of that stuff, above, and I have about the worst sense of direction known to man. When I get lost, I'm planning to walk up to people and ask where the @#(% I am. People don't even care if you approach them in the street, so hooray for that.

Right now I'm getting super tired. Red wine is the best sleep aid probably ever, too. Obviously I'm not getting wasty face, but un vaso de vino por las noches = good stuff.

OK time to faceplant in the pillows, night!

No comments: